AFIA, in partnership with our Silver Sponsor John Deere offer a scholarship for one young person in the fodder industry to attend the Marcus Oldham Rural Leadership Program (MORLP) which is valued at $2,500.
2011 winner Corbin Schuster (pictured left with Robbie Larcome, John Deere) from Freeling in South Australia described the program as an intense mix of learning about leadership, personal development and networking. “The diversity and enthusiasm of the participants from a broad range of agricultural enterprises was incredible and the energy in the group is contagious” Corbin said.
“For me, learning leadership skills was one of the most valuable aspects of the program. I have been able to take the skills I have gained and use them in our farming business and broader community” Corbin added.
The Program is an intense five-day workshop for 18-40 year olds, conducted on the College campus at Geelong, Victoria, in the last week of June.
The objective of the program is to develop the skills and knowledge of participants to enable them to:
- undertake a leadership role in their industry or community
- competently represent their industry or community in decision making forums
- understand and address the issues facing rural industries and rural communities
The course also aims to:
- develop the leadership, communication and planning skills of individuals in the program, through their participation in a process of self-discovery, skills training, knowledge building and team development
- provide opportunities for participants to network with keynote speakers from industry and the community
The five-day workshop involves facilitators who have both the training skills and empathy to understand the issues facing rural industry and rural communities, and industry background to assist in the development of solutions.
Training sessions include:
- Goal Setting
- Developing action plans
- Leadership and team building
- Rural health
- Community leadership
- Learning and communication including
- public speaking and working with the media
- Understanding self and others
Applications close for the 2013 AFIA Leadership award on Monday May 13. Download the application form here or contact AFIA on 03 9530 2199 for more information